2. She completely obliterated the importance of Sam and Dean's relationship.

2. She completely obliterated the importance of Sam and Dean’s relationship.

If you were looking for a show that would completely draw you in, “Supernatural” is it — or rather, it WAS it.

In earlier seasons, people were glued to their televisions watching the story of the Winchesters play out. They were invested in every single detail about the show. Every character had a story and it was exciting to watch those stories unravel. Fans became invested in the “Monster of the Week”  storyline and craved it each and every week.  Most, if not all of the brilliance was thanks to show creator, and then show runner, Eric Kripke. He created an interesting, fun, sexy TV show that was completely destroyed once he was no longer show runner.

The season six premiere, Exile on Main St. was the first episode to have long time Supernatural writer and producer, Sera Gamble as show runner.

She completely butchered the show.

Watching the episode was almost painful and left viewers thinking “this is what I waited months for?” It was a mess from beginning to end. Every episode after that, with a few exceptions, have all been equally painful to watch. It’s sad that this beloved show went from great writing, great storytelling, to just another show on the CW network. It’s become so bad that fans who still watch out of loyalty can tell you how bad it is.

Season 6 of Supernatural -- when Sera Gable took over -- was virtually unwatchable

Season 6 of Supernatural was virtually unwatchable

Gamble was unfortunately show runner for two whole seasons before she “stepped down.” By the time season eight came to be, the show was already doomed. Gamble basically ruined a great thing and then was either fired for it, or just didn’t want to be associated with it anymore. Either way, the integrity of the show was trashed and she is responsible for it. By the time new show runners were in place for season eight, so much damage had already been done to the characters. Plot holes were so huge that in order for it to even be remotely what it was, they would have had to ignore season six and seven and start fresh. Since you can’t erase bad seasons of television, the new show runners were doomed before they even began.

Season eight was a lot better than both seasons six and seven, but still not close to what it once was. The show has fallen so far away from “good television” that it’s sometimes ridiculous to even watch. The actors are still great at what they do, even when their material is awful. And by awful, I mean, when a writer is tweeting fans and answers a question with “that’s from before my time, but I’ll guess its cause’ they have a special bond?” you know the people behind the scenes know less about the show than the people watching it. There’s a point where shows run their course and should be canceled. Supernatural should have ended why, how, and when the original show runner wanted it to. Now I watch the show out of loyalty and will most likely watch it until it does finally end. Until then, it will remain a show with great acting, but absolutely no story.

5 Reasons Sera Gamble ruined “Supernatural”

1. As soon as she became show runner, her writing declined. She wrote awful episodes; nothing close to the great work she wrote before the regime change.
  2. Completely obliterated the importance of Sam and Dean’s relationship.
  3. Introduced and focused more on new, minor characters than on the main established characters.
  4. Made Castiel too big of a character, which again took away from the foundation of the show, which is the brothers.
  5. Soulless Sam and Leviathans. Two of the worst story arcs to ever be told, and both were done in two separate seasons with her as show runner.

About The Author

Jennifer Dussourd is a Blast Magazine intern from Boston

15 Responses

1. deeaye

HOLY SHIT. It’s like you read my fucking mind, this is insane. I agree with everything you said and have nothing more to add. This is perfect.

2. lazycrazymisfit

Just how I feel. I stopped watching half way through season 7 when I couldn’t stand it anymore. But now and then I keep peeking back in because I used to love this show so much, it hurts everytime (T_T)

3. FanSinceEpisodOne

Seasons 1-5 will forever be the best in the shows history the so called character growth personality wise has been a disappointment because we grew to love the Winchesters original personality… also it has taken too much of a soap theme thats killing the show. I will watch to the end no matter how painful

4. Peter

Shes sleeping with jon mc namara and is working on aquarius..maybe shell be ok

5. Corncat

And I thought I was the only one to think that the later storylines sucked. Who knew?

6. Cody

This may literally be the worst article I’ve ever seen.

Ninety percent of it is complaining how the show has declined, and yet provides no empirical evidence as to WHY it did. Also, insinuating that Castiel became too big of a character is legitimately illogical: Sam and Dean have been about family. This doesn’t just include their own relationship: it includes other people, too. Families grow.

The only season I can say is the worst is season ten.

But really, if you’re going to bash a writer for having declined in skill, you may want to look toward your own articles. It’s nothing but complaints and claims that have no backing whatsoever.

• William Freeman

You’re absolutely right. I love this show. Castiels role hasn’t seemed to change THAT much. He still seems a little “behind the scenes”. Castiel is an awesome addition. Kinda do wish he did a bit more. As for Sam and Dean, how has their relationship changed? They still both ride in that chevy, kill monsters, and fight just like brothers do. This article is an absolute joke.

7. Cindy Baker

I actually enjoyed every season. I agree 1 through 5 was the best!
    I loved the on screen chemistry that Dean clearly had with Bella, though it seemed to be fuled from anger I certainly could feel the heat in season 3. Bad Day at Back Rock!! That was a fun episode. And again Red Sky at Morning. And then The Mystery Spot was without a doubt a huge hit!! And of coarse Yellow fever!

Sam seemed to have a crush on Bella as well in Dream a Little Dream of Me 03×10. That was fun to see and nice too.
    And the chemistry with Jo and Dean as well was sweet and refreshing to see.
    But the French Mistake is my favorite and that is season 6 x15 and Appointment in Samaria was awesome 6×11
    Again Dean is trying to rescue his brother.

I enjoyed the slice Girls in season 7 because I loved seeing how Dean handled being a father 7×13.
    I guess for me season 7 did get a bit on the slow side..
    But that’s okay because it’s the actors. The brothers are who draw me in every time. Every time without fail!! The love they have for one another their unspoken bond, no matter what happens is really something to see!! The connection these actors can bring to life is brilliant!!! The bond they even have with Cas is amazing.
    Yes they all fiight like a married couple but who doesn’t these days!!
    So it’s okay for me because I just keep watching!!

I guess for me, in honesty I think season 11 was the season I didn’t care for as much. But still continued watching it because I still enjoyed the acting that was always so well done bye all the actors.
    I did how ever love 11×04 Baby! That episode was amazing, I just didn’t care for the direction that they took God, and Lucifer in. It a lot of times seemed a bit corny!!! That’s not at all how I’d picture God acting!!
    I really did enjoy all the seasons before this one!! I loved Black, 10,×01 Reichenbach 10×02 Soul Survivor 10×03, The Executioners song, 10×14 and then of coarse 10×23 Brothers Keeper!!! All excellent in my book!! Every season I know we all agree no matter how we feel about the season the acting is outstanding!!
    Jensen Ackles and Jared Padalecki are both brilliant actors and can both tell a beautiful, warm and heart touching story with just their eyes in literally seconds!!! And I believe Misha Collins is pretty awesome as well with using his eyes to get his point across!!!
    I loved Sacrifice 8×23 the season finale

I was originally drawn into this show because of the actors before I started, to notices the story line! But quickly became a huge fan of the whole show, and the actors…

I do love the emotional scenes, , and I see that Dean really misses his mom and struggles with it in his mind!! This is raised again in season 12×03 in the Foundry when Mary tells the boys that she has to leave.
    Dean seems to have trouble excepting that his mom is leaving him again, even though she’s just going to go live her life.
    It’s so heart breaking to see his reaction.
    I just want to hug him and tell him it’s okay, she’ll be back Dean!

And I hurt for Sam because he never even knew his mom the way Dean did in his 4 years.
    It’s as if these fearless amazing men are still stuck in their minds as the lost small boys who never experienced their own family, their own mother and father, and are still silently struggling with that!, being raised in motels is no way at all for children to be raised. And that does come across so very sad, so I can understand why Dean struggles so much with this, and the love he craved from his dad… And Sam as well..

They both grew up to be strong, fearless, sweet, and generous to a fault, men but still misses their mom so much!!
    I feel for Dean when he’s telling his mom that he hates her but yet he loves her! In 12×22 that was so heartbreaking to see!!
    OMG!!
    Fabulous acting mr. Ackles!
    Wow!

I don’t see how this is all one writers fault!! There are going to be times when the writers maybe run out Ideas, People are not perfect. And their will be disappointments in life. But I continue to watch this show and support it because I love it.
    This is the best show I have seen in years and look it’s going into its 13th season.. that’s all that counts..
    just enjoy the rest.
    It’s just Television.

8. Intelligent Shipper

Poorly researched smear article. She wrote great content before because she had other great producers and showrunners at her flank before. She got thrown under the bus by Robert Singer, who repeated an identical storyline with different labels that tanked season 12 to the exact same statistics, and who is directly responsible for the ratings crash of late season 10. There’s one consistent in all ratings crashes and it isn’t Gamble. It’s Singer. Season 6-7 was minus Kripke, Carver, and Manners and soon lost Edlund for the most part too. There was nothing to offset Singer’s trash fest and labeled showrunner or not she got thrown under the bus. Carver started fixing it in season 8 and almost doubled the ratings out of the gate but had a lot to recover from, the season with the best recovery and statistics was the year Singer was gone from the set entirely, and the season we crashed again was when he stepped forward without Carver again. This is basic freaking trends. Then again I have entire video rants about this shit for a reason. I’m tired of seeing people throw Gamble under the bus like it was entirely her fault. I did at first. Then I realized I was an idiot. But at least I never tried to smear her in an article over knee jerk presumptions.