Paranormal Activity 2 is off to a huge start at the box office, right out of the gate. Unlike it’s predecessor, which started out slowly and built word of mouth, the sequel is on pace for a $40 million opening weekend. That’s pretty solid for a film that cost just $3 million to produce. Is a new horror franchise born?
Jackass 3D held up fairly well from it’s record breaking debut last weekend. The comedy is on pace for a $23 million second weekend.
Red is holding up very well. The action comedy with an ensemble cast is set to drop under 30% this weekend, to $15 million.
Hereafter is off to a soft start; the spiritual drama starring Matt Damon, directed by Clint Eastwood, is looking at a fourth place, $12 million debut. That’s better than Invictus did last year, but not a great sign for a box office bonanza.
The Top 10:
1. Paranormal Activity 2: $40 million, NEW
2. Jackass 3D: $23 million, $88.5 million
3. Red: $15 million, $43 million
4. Hereafter: $12 million, NEW
5. The Social Network: $7 million, $73 million
6. Secretariat: $6.5 million, $37 million
7. Life As We Know It: $6 million, $37 million
8. Legend of the Guardians: Owls of the Ga’Hoole: $3 million, $50 million
9. The Town: $2.5 million, $84.5 million
10.Easy A: $2 million, $54.8 million
Leave a Reply