Now that spring is finally around the corner (sort of), it is time to get back to the great outdoors to stay active! Try some, or all, of these outdoor activities to better enjoy your surroundings:
- Go for a bike ride! Dust off your bike and get out there to enjoy the clear skies. Pretend you are a little kid who does not know about calories and working out: go out and just bike until you are tired and bored of your scenery!
- Head to the mountains for a hike! You may have to travel a bit, depending on where you live, but you can always make a fun weekend trip out of camping and hiking if it’s that far away. It is another great way to enjoy the outdoors, work up a sweat, and not feel overly focused on the workout itself or getting through it. Find mountains in your area.
- Hit the playgrounds! Kids or no kids, playgrounds lend some great workout equipment, and they are free! Monkey bars can be used for arms, or abs with pull-ups, hanging leg raises, inverted crunches, or merely crossing the monkey bars. The steps can be used for “box” jumps or single leg lunges.
- Take a dip! Be it the ocean, a lake, or a pool, head out for some splash time. Swimming can be relaxing, as well as refreshing. You can swim laps, which torches calories, or you can do aqua circuits. Swimming is great for low joint impact, and is also a kid friendly activity. Water sports in the ocean or on a lake, such as surfing, water skiing and knee boarding, also torch calories while you have a blast!
- Go for a walk/run! Simply getting outside and moving will boost your mood thanks to endorphins and vitamin D. Go for a long walk or enjoy a jog. Add some sprints to shake-up the monotony of steady state movement and to boost your heart rate!
- Try some outdoor yoga! If you are looking for a relaxing stretch for your mind and body, think of how zen you will feel in an outdoor setting. You are closer to nature, and less distracted by the fake lights provided indoors. Most cities offer outdoor yoga classes, some for free! Otherwise, you can always do some basic yoga moves that you already feel comfortable with, outside!
Whatever you do, get as excited for each activity as all of these explanations cause you to internally read them. Be sure to warm-up before each workout, and stretch afterward. Most importantly, try something new!