A British coroner found that Amy Winehouse died because there was too much alcohol in her blood. The 27-year-old, Grammy Award–winning singer had a blood alcohol concentration that was five times the British drunk driving limit.
After weeks of being sober, Winehouse died from accidental alcohol poisoning. Coroner Suzanne Greenaway said that it was “death by misadventure.”
When Winehouse died on July 23, the cause of death was inconclusive.
Her blood alcohol level was 0.4; the British drunk driving limit is 0.08. Her doctor, Dr. Christina Romete, said that she had been sober most of July and had only resumed drinking a few days before her death.
Romete added that Winehouse had turned to alcohol after she stopped taking illicit drugs in 2008. When Romete saw her the night before her death, she recalls Winehouse being in a calm mood and talking about her upcoming birthday.
The police detective who arrived shortly after Winehouse’s body was found, Inspector Les Newman, said there were three empty vodka bottles in her bedroom.
Andrew Morris, Winehouse’s live-in security guard who found her body, told the coroner’s court, “She did it moderately… she wasn’t drinking to get drunk.”
Winehouse’s parents attended the hearing at St. Pancras Coroner’s Court on Wednesday, October 26. The family spokesman Chris Goodman said in a statement that it was a relief for the family “to finally find out what happened to Amy.”
Source: Boston Globe
If you don’t want anything dreadful to befall an alcoholic friend or loved one, think about getting alcohol intervention services before it’s too late.