Historic Rhode Island charm. Breathtaking waterfront views. Gourmet food and wine. Shaded, outdoor lounges. Next weekend, wine enthusiasts will flock to the cool Rhode Island seashore for the second-annual Newport WineFest, a lush outdoor bash that boasts cooking demonstrations by celebrity chefs, wine seminars, and hundreds of wine, beer and spirit tastings.
The founder and executive director of the Boston Wine School, Jonathan Alsop, will lead wine seminars, while locally loved food talent, renowned gourmet chefs, reality TV stars and cookbook authors share their secrets during cooking demonstrations.
Here’s a look at the culinary talent taking on this year’s WineFest:
- Tyler Anderson, winner of “Chopped: Season 2” and executive chef of Copper Beach Inn (Ivoryton, Conn.)
- Ed Brown, executive chef of Ed’s Chowder House (New York City)
- Kevin Cottle, runner-up on “Hell’s Kitchen: Season 6”
- Tiffani Faison, runner-up of “Top Chef: Season 1,” contestant on “Top Chef All Stars: Season 8” and executive chef and owner of Sweet Cheeks, opening soon (Boston)
- Michael Ferraro, executive chef of Delicatessen (New York City)
- Mike Giletto, executive chef of Ocean Place Resort and Spa (Long Branch, N.J.)
- Billy Grant, executive chef of Bricco Trattoria and Grants Restaurant (Glastonbury, Conn.)
- Peter Kelly, 2010 James Beard Foundation nominee for Best Chef Northeast, executive chef and owner of Xaviars at Piermont, The Freelance Cafe and Wine Bar, Restaurant X & The Bully Boy Bar, and X2O Xaviars (Hudson Valley, N.Y.)
- Dave Martin, contestant on “Top Chef: Season 1,” author of “Flavor Quest” and food and wine instructor (New York City)
- Aaron McCargo, Jr., contestant on “The Next Food Network Star: Season 4” and host of “Big Daddy’s House”
- Walter Potenza, executive chef and owner of Walter’s Ristorant d’Italia (Providence)
- Doug Quint, co-owner of the Big Gay Ice Cream Truck (New York City)
- Bill Taibe, executive chef and owner of LeFarm (Westport, Conn.)
- Brooke Vosika, executive chef of the Four Seasons (Boston)
- Todd Winer, executive chef of the MET Restaurant Group (Massachusetts)
- Patricia Yeo, executive chef of Om (Cambridge, Mass.)
The three-day event will kick off on Aug. 19 from 7:30 to 11 p.m. Friday night’s Newport Uncorked: Chefs, Ships, Water and Wine event will offer dishes by celebrity chefs, premium select wine, beer and spirits, access aboard luxurious Azimut yachts docked alongside the Harborview tent, music and more.
On Aug. 20, WineFest will offer two grand tastings and kitchen stage demonstration sessions. The first session will be from 1 to 5 p.m., and the second will be from 7 to 11 p.m. There will also be a waterfront Grand Cru tasting from 6 to 8 p.m.
The events on Aug. 21 will start at 9:30 a.m. with a Chefs and Champagne brunch, which lasts until 12:30 p.m. The final grand tasting and kitchen stage demonstration session will be held from 1 to 5 p.m.
The event will be held at the Newport Yachting Center, 4 Commerce Warf, Newport, Rhode Island. For additional information on this lush summertime event, visit www.newportwinefest.com. Online discounted advanced prices range from $45 to $150 for single events and $300 for a three-day pass.