Numbers released today by the NPD group, a statistic-tracking organization, revealed The Sims 3 to be the best-selling PC title of 2009, beating out the likes of World of Warcraft and Modern Warfare 2.
The below list is a top-ten gathering of 2009’s best-selling PC titles. Note the statistics count boxed retail copies sold and not digital ones.
1. The Sims 3
2. World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King Expansion Pack
3. The Sims 2 Double Deluxe
4. World of Warcraft: Battle Chest
5. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2
6. World of Warcraft Blizzard Entertainment
7. The Sims 3: World Adventures Expansion Pack
9. Dragon Age: Origins
10. Empire: Total War
Overall, NPD stated that PC game sales were down 23-percent from the same aggregate sales of 2008.
The list is dominated by Electronic Arts and Activision-published titles, making up 9 of the 10, with SEGA’s Empire: Total War the lone exception, at number 10.