Electronic Arts today announced that the storied Need for Speed franchise has sold over 100 million units since it first arrived on the scene over 16 years ago in 1994.
The latest installment in the Need For Speed series, “Shift,” pushed the sales figure to the gargantuan level, and we don’t see why not, it was awesome you know.
“Few videogame franchises ever reach the 100M units mark, so this is a
huge honor. We have millions of fans to thank for driving us to this
milestone,” said Keith Munro, vice president of Global Marketing, Need
for Speed. “With the launch of Need for Speed SHIFT and the upcoming
release of Need for Speed NITRO, we hope to continue to deliver the most
entertaining, action-packed racing experiences.”
How about some statistics, those are always nice, right?
Since the NFS began in 1994, the series has…
* ‚ ‚ ‚ Released in 22 languages in over 60 countries
* ‚ ‚ ‚ Players have raced over 279 billion miles of roads & race tracks
* ‚ ‚ ‚ Generated over 17 trillion user-generated vehicle customizations
* ‚ ‚ ‚ Featured actors, models & musicians including: Brooke Burke
(Wild On), Christina Milian (Ghosts of Girlfriends Past), Emmanuelle
Vaugier (Two and a Half Men), Josie Maran (Sports Illustrated swimsuit
model and actress), Maggie Q (Mission: Impossible III), Kanye West, Yeah
Yeah Yeahs and The Prodigy
* ‚ ‚ ‚ Debuted exclusive remix from Snoop Dogg of The Door’s classic
song Riders on the Storm
* ‚ ‚ ‚ Sold more games than all new passenger cars sales in the U.S
* ‚ ‚ ‚ ‚ If Need for Speed boxes were laid out end-to-end, it would
span 173,609 football fields
* ‚ ‚ ‚ ‚ 100M units represents nearly every household in the United
States and is 3x the population of Canada
*Launched 15 blockbuster titles across more than 14 platform
Here’s to you, Need For Speed! I’ll drink to that this weekend.
Leave a Reply