Square Enix announced recently that it is putting together a new style of modern action-RPG for the Nintendo DS. The World Ends With You will hit shelves April 22.
The story begins as Neku Sakuraba, an unsociable 15-year-old boy, unexpectedly wakes up in the Shibuya shopping district of Tokyo, Japan. While trying to piece together his rude awakening, he receives a strange text message warning him that he will cease to exist unless he accomplishes a certain mission. Although he barely has time to grasp what is happening to him, he commences his assigned task in the mysterious streets of Shibuya.
“The World Ends With You is a cutting-edge, fast-paced adventure that takes full advantage of Nintendo DS functionality,” said John Yamamoto, president and CEO of Square Enix. “Square Enix is excited to bring an RPG set in modern times and real-life locations to gamers of all ages and abilities.”
The game will be anime-style set in modern day Tokyo.
- Distinctive modern art style created by a team of artists led by Tetsuya Nomura, world-renowned character designer of the upcoming Fabula Nova Crystallis project which includes Final Fantasy XIII amd FF Versis XIII
- Innovative Stride-Cross Battle System allows players to control two characters simultaneously, unleashing special attacks with the stylus
- Collect a vast array of custom-designed pins, each with a powerful psychic ability that can be activated with the right touch or sound command
- Customize characters with Shibuya’s coolest fashions and exchange items with other players via Mingle Mode
- Experience an amazing soundtrack combining a fusion of musical influences from hip-hop to rock to electronica
- Battle with up to three friends in Tin Pin Slammer, an exciting and fast-paced mini-game, via local wireless connection
“World” will be available for $39.99.