The arrival of the fall fashion season can be daunting — new trends, endless options, figuring out what’s hot (or not). But with the help of the online social shopping site StyleFeeder, and its innovative Personal Shopper shopping assistant, you can discover the best fashion finds for any style and budget, and impress your friends with your amazing new wardrobe.StyleFeeder turned to its users to see what is really going to popular this fall.
1. Skinny jeans are not going away anytime soon. StyleFeeders are asking if they can still wear their skinny jeans into the fall, and despite what some fashion magazines might tell you, the answer seems to be a resounding yes. StyleFeeders both lean and curvy are looking forward to wearing their skinny jeans tucked into boots with a great sweater, or with flats and a boxy retro jacket.2. Volume trends will continue. Summer’s flirty, voluminous tops and dresses will continue well into autumn, as comfy tunics in cozy fabrics like jersey and wool pair well with patterned tights and ankle boots.
3. Grey is the new neutral. Flowy tops in shade of grey pair well with shoes and handbags in this classy, muted shade. Look for accessories with shimmery, metallic undertones in shades of pewter, pink, purple and pearl.
4. Mad for plaid. Tartan is back in! Elevate the pattern by adding unexpected feminine details…like a big bow or French cuffs on a boyfriend shirt. If you’re on the shyer side, stick to plaid accessories, like scarves, headbands and belts. For even more boarding school chic, one StyleFeeder suggests adding a prep-school iron-on badge to a plaid bag.
5. Military-inspired trenches. The “it” coat for fall, try a trench with military-inspired details, like brass buttons or a low-slung belt. Extra points for also incorporating a plaid pattern to tackle two trends with one item.
6. Riding boots. Equestrian-inspired footwear is making a resurgence, as tall boots in rich brown and black leather are being spotted all over.
7. Ballet flats stick around. Ballet flats show no sign of going away…try a slight wedge heel or ankle strap to ensure you still look cutting-edge.
8. Pops of blue and purple. Look for anything royal, lapis, blueberry, or mauve.
9. V-neck sweater vests. This preppy staple looks great on both men and women. They always go great with a plain oxford, but can also work over blouses with tulip or bell sleeves for an ultra-feminine look.
10. Patent leather performs. Sass up flats, Mary Jane’s or towering heels in this provocative fabric, cinch a flowing top with a shiny belt, or sling on a bag with patent accents. Just don’t overdo it…one patent leather item at a time, please.
Stores popular among users looking to splurge a bit include J.Crew for the preppy accessories popping up everywhere, and Anthropologie for bohemian tops and tunics. The new Libertine line at Target is hot for fall, with many items selling out online within days. Forever 21, Topshop and Delia’s are also favorite destinations to pick up trendy items that won’t break the bank.