A single family house in East Boston was seriously damaged Monday night in a fast-moving 2-alarm fire.

Firefighters responded to 211 Havre St. at about 9:08 p.m. and quickly called out a second alarm.

The fire broke out in the basement and was caused by an electrical short circuit, said Steve MacDonald, a spokesman for the Boston Fire Department.

No one was hurt.

MacDonald estimated the damage at $200,000. Two adults lived in the house, and they will be staying with friends, he said.

A neighboring house, only inches away in the densely settled East Boston neighborhood escaped damage thanks to the quick and aggressive work of firefighters, officials said.

Pending any overnight blazes, the fire will mark the last response for renown Boston Fire Department photographer Bill Noonan, whose final shift ends at 8 a.m. Tuesday. Noonan is retiring after 39 years.

About The Author

John Guilfoil is the editor-in-chief of Blast: Boston's Online Magazine and the Blast Magazine Network. He can be reached at guilfoil.j@blastmagazine.com. Tweet @johnguilfoil.

Leave a Reply